The President of the Hellenic Parliament
President of the Hellenic Parliament
Member of Parliament Athens A
- Place and Date οf Birth:
- Nikos Voutsis was born in Athens in 1951. His place of origin is Tegea in the prefecture of Arkadia.
- Marital Status:
- He is married to Angeliki Papazoglou and he has three children George, Arianna-Nicky and Panos.
- He worked as a freelancer (1975 – 2010).
- He graduated from the Experimental School of the University of Athens (Class of ’69).
He graduated from the Civil Engineer School of the National Technical University of Athens.
- Foreign Languages:
- He speaks German.
- Elected MP of SYRIZA in the 1st Constituency of Athens in the elections of May and June 2012. Re-elected in the January and September 2015 elections.
- Secretary of the Parliamentary Group of SYRIZA (June 2012 – December 2014).
- Member of the Standing Committee on Public Order, Public Administration and Justice and of the Special Permanent Committee on Institutions and Transparency of the Hellenic Parliament.
- He actively participated in the mass student movement against the military regime as a member of the anti-junta student committees of the National Technical University of Athens. He vice-chaired the first Central Council of the National Student Union of Greece in 1975 after the restitution of democracy, which resulted from the National Council of which he was a member of the Bureau.
- Secretary of the Central Council of the Student Organization (ΕΚΟΝ Rigas Feraios) of the Communist Party of Greece - Interior (ΚΚΕ Interior) during two periods (1980 – 1985). A member of the Communist Party of Greece – Interior and the 9-member Secretariat until 1986. He participated in the Communist Party of Greece – Interior – Reformist Left from 1987 to 1991.
- He became a member of SYNASPISMOS (Coalition of the Left) following the 1993 elections and was elected to the Central Committee . He was Head of the Press office of SYNASPISMOS from 2000 to 2006. Since SYRIZA formation, he has been a candidate MP from 2004 and member of its Central Committee from the founding congress of SYRIZA until today.
- Candidate for the position of Deputy Head of the Region and Councilor of the Region of Attica with “Cooperation in Attica – No to the Memorandum” in the period of 2010 to 2012.
- Minister of Interior and Administrative Reconstruction in the first SYRIZA – ANEL government (January – August 2015).